Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Too Funny

Ok...enough politics for a while. Enough ranting.

Let's talk baseball! But before we do that let's talk memories.

Let's talk Moose and Squirrel.

There has been a fair amount of much deserved press over the past couple of days concerning the death of Alex Anderson, the original creator of the Rocky and Bullwinkle characters.

I am on record here and anywhere that records are kept that, as far as I am concerned, in my, not-so-humble, opinion, and according to me, and only to me...Rocky and Bullwinkle is in the top 10 of any TV show ever produced.

I know...I know...I Love Lucy...The Honeymooners...The Sopranos.But come on...Bullwinkle...Rocky...Whassamatta U...Peabody & Sherman...Boris and Natasha?? Are you kidding? Simply and utterly one of the BEST!!

When I was younger ("so much younger than today, I never needed anybody's help in anyway..."...sorry...had to go there...couldn't "help" myself...) I couldn't wait to watch Rocky and Bullwinkle.

I loved everything about it. The stories, the voices, the music, the characters.
It was the highlight of my week. To hell with Bonanza or 77 Sunset Strip or even The Ed Sullivan Show (my parents were devotees of The Lawrence Welk Show so I was forced to watch...it was either Myron Floren and Bobby Burgess or nothing...or worse...bedtime!)

It was Rocket J. Squirrel for me!

And the humor! It has been said that it was over the heads of the kids that watched...like Spongebob or Ren & Stimpy or Family Guy.

But I'm here to tell you that I got it. Not because I'm so smart but because it was funny and somehow appealed to both me and my parents.

And topical. Boris and Natasha and Fearless Leader...all at a time when we had real fears about Russia and the Bomb. To this day, whenever a TV show is interrupted with a breaking news story (referred to in my childhood as a "Bulletin") I get a feeling in the pit of my stomach that this is it...that "this is the big one Elizabeth...!"

But it wouldn't have mattered that much as long as I had Rocky and Bullwinkle and the gang.

They were wonderful. I miss them. I now know who invented them and, while it is sad that he has died, I am grateful to Alex Anderson for having been creative enough to imagine Rocky and his friends and to put them onto paper. Without that burst of creative genius my childhood would have been a bit drearier, a bit darker...a bit less fun.

"Hey Rocky...watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!"

"Again...?"

Would that Rocky and Bullwinkle were on TV...again. Not on Cartoon Network. Not on Nickelodeon. Not on Youtube.

On TV. Every week. Brand New. More fun.

Would that a lot of things were here...again.

Would that they were...



Oh...sorry...The Rangers. I think the Rangers will win The World Series. They want it more. There...enough baseball for you...?

No comments:

Post a Comment