Sunday, January 3, 2010

It's All About Me...

This is an experiment in unbridled self-promotion.

Bear with me. I want to see if I get any response using brand names in my blog...

So here goes...

I love:

McDonald's
Nike
Apple
Microsoft
Coca Cola
Pepsi
Kraft Foods
General Mills
Ford Motor Co.
Volvo
Bose
Jonhson and Johnson
Procter and Gamble
Hershey
Dell
Tommy Hilfiger
Disney

Ok...we'll see if I get any response...


Now for my blog...which would have been entitled as follows:


"Blogs of Fear"...

...a play on words for Blogosphere...get it?

We are "Afraid"...so very "Afraid" or as Sheen says to Jimmy (Neutron) "Ultra Lord is a little bit afraid of Chickens...!"

We're frightened of everything...burst bubbles, burst condoms, burst ozone layer, burst reynolds (get that one too?...well the new Burst, not the old hunky one from "Longest Yard" days...and no one should infer that I am gay by referring to him as hunky...he was then...he ain't now...and I know hunky when I see it....regardless...I do know and love gay people though...am I therefore gay by association...? Get a life...)

Anyway...we're scared all of the time...of losing our homes or our jobs or our spouses (spice...? mouse/mice...a little help here...)...of losing our 401k or of our team losing whatever game...

We're just running scared in our lives. But why...? What do we really have to be afraid of?

We live in a wonderful age of advancement on every front. Little by little we are climbing up and out of the ooze from whence we came...so what of it's taking thousands of years...we have the time...have you ever contemplated distance in the universe?

A light year...Holy Cow! (the wonderful, late, Phil Rizzuto) If light travels at 186,000 miles per second (per second...!) then a light year is the distance from earth that light will travel in one year...60 times 60 times 24 times 365...

Wow!

So...in the larger scope of things the time that has elapsed since the beginning of recorded history is a mere speck...we have advanced alot since the beginning...

Am I rambling? Sorry...what I'm trying to say is that we are making progress toward enlightenment...ok, so I got off the track a little with the business about light years...but it's always fascinated me.

We used to live in caves (ok...some of us still do...can you say Afghanistan...?) but most of us don't.

We used to think the earth was flat but now we don't...except for Tom Friedman (one of my absolute heroes...really...) who thinks the earth is Flat and argues the point persuasively and eloquently in his book, "The World is Flat."

We used to think the Yankees were the only team to ever win the World Series and then a funny thing happened at Fenway Park...and I don't mean hockey...

There are a lot of things that used to be but are not now so...and sooner or later we will overcome all of our prejudices and superstitions and live a life in harmony within the universe and with all of its' inhabitants...no matter how many light years it takes for us to get there (do you like how I knitted the two themes together...did that work for you?...Everyone's a critic...)

So don't be afraid...we're almost there...maybe in the year 2525...oh, no...now I'll never get that song out of my head...one of my least favorites from the era...

My favorite from the 60's is "Good Lovin'" by The Rascals...that syncopated drum part by the great Dino Danelli..."

"I was feelin' so bad...
I asked my family doctor just what I had.
I said Doctor...
Doctor....
Mr. M.D.
Doctor....
Now can you tell me what's ailin' me?

He said yeah...all you really need is good lovin'"

Ain't that the truth...in this or any millenium...!

No comments:

Post a Comment