Thursday, May 5, 2011

Get a Horse!

My mother is in a nursing home now but in her active years she was no gardener. Neither was my father.

They didn't even try. A few trees maybe and my father maintained the lawn but flowers? Vegetables? Herbs? Never. Not even house plants. They just weren't interested.

So there is no real explanation for the fact that I have taken up gardening. I have been in plenty of relationships where my partners were gardeners. One girlfriend even had me help her build a mini version of Findhorn. It was fun but I was not hooked.

Until recently.

My lovely wife is a gardener but her passion and expertise is flowers. She's very good at it.

I, however, have embraced vegetables, mainly tomatoes. My neighbor, Mark, came by today to encourage me while I turned the soil with my pitchfork. We were reminded of the fried green tomatoes he made with my yield a few summers ago. They were pretty good as I remember.

I've gotten to be fairly adept at the tomato thing but corn has eluded me. I'm trying again this year.

I love corn. Only on the cob though. I HATE corn in a can or frozen. Bad childhood memories at a diner in Orange, Connecticut. Don't ask...

But sweet corn. Oh My God! A farmer once told me that he ate it raw. I tried it. It was good but not as good as cooked with no salt or butter. Salt and butter helps marginal corn but sweet, local corn needs nothing. It's like dessert.

My chef friend, Doug, in New York City makes a remarkable roasted corn and garlic affair that is absolutely addicting. He scrapes the kernels from the cob, burns them just slightly and serves it cold. I can never get enough.

So I planted today. This year I'm hoping for tomatoes, corn, cucumbers and peas. I'll get the tomatoes. I'm reasonably assured of that. Hopefully.

But if I get the corn I'll be one happy gardener.

And what with food prices as high as they are I'll be doubly happy.

So...stay tuned. I'll keep you posted. I won't stalk you with some corny, cobbed together blog without any kernels of truth. But keep an ear open.

Can't you just hear 'em germinatin'?

No comments:

Post a Comment