Thursday, May 19, 2011

Amen!

You know the expression, "We're not getting any younger."

You've heard it all of your life...except, maybe, when you were 10.

I was reminded last weekend of the fact that Tempus does, in fact, Fugit.

I used to be a performing musician. I played every weekend, sometimes more than that. I performed my own material as well as covers. I played in Europe, at Lincoln Center, Off-Broadway, in huge arenas, outdoor festivals and in small clubs. I played everywhere I could and wherever they would let me set up. I worked as a soloist, in a duo and in rock, country, jazz, swing and bluegrass bands. I played for free and also made good money at times. I loved it!

Sometimes I'd play four sets of loud, hard-driving rock and roll for three nights in a row.

I'd schelpp heavy gear, play in smokey bars for people who preferred the TV or pool to the music and would earn about $50 a night.

Hard work if you can get it.

Last year I suggested to the Parent's Association at my daughter's school that they put on a dinner dance as a fundraiser. Big mouth that I am (who, ME?...), I offered to put a band together.

After having played professionally for many years I know some top notch players. All styles, all instruments.

But this gig required only one thing. A willingness to play the rock of the 50s through the 70s, non-stop, without rehearsal and, as they say in This is Spinal Tap, at a volume of "11"

Larry played bass as he has for the best part of the past 60 years. He grew up on the hits of the 50s. It's in his DNA.

Mark was smokin' on lead guitar. He was a Columbia Records recording artist and his chops are inimitable.

Bruce played the drums. He is, hands down, one of the best drummers I've ever known. An unbelievable touch.

We were billed as Les Garagistes, which loosely translated from the French, would mean The Garagemen...or that we were a Garage Band...but a friend pointed out that the name, when written, looked like someone named Lester Garagistes...Les Garagistes...a man of Greek origin was providing his song "stylings"...arghhhhhhh! So much for being cutesy with the faux-European name...

We played music that is in our bones, our muscle memory, the stuff we grew up on and have played. literally, a thousand times.

"Blue Suede Shoes. Johnny B. Goode. Allright Now. Jumpin' Jack Flash. Louie, Louie."

The chestnuts. The best.

Well, I'm here to tell ya...I'm an old man!

I started off cookin' with a lot of energy. One song after another. Pop, pop, pop!

Then we made the mistake of taking break.

The second set was still good but I was straining to keep up with myself.

We took another break and then, thank the Good Lord, I got a second wind and we had a big finish...with a "Hokey Pokey/Simon Says" medley!

Everybody loved it, including the Conga Line I forced everyone into while we played "La Bamba/Good Lovin'/Turn on Your Lovelight" which is really all the same musical progression.

We raised about $5,000 for the school and the parents and kids who came really seemed to have a good time.

I was hoarse and sore but felt good.

The old days.

But as Don Henley said, "You can never go back."

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment