Friday, January 28, 2011

Reflections

I was asked last night what the single most memorable moment of my life was so far.

I drew a blank.

My mind flooded with memories and strained to find the winner.

I couldn't do it. Too many contenders.

My life has been a series of wonderful experiences dotted, and sometimes underpinned, by moments I would just as soon forget.

Like the many moments of insensitivity that hurt too many feelings. I'm truly sorry for all of that.

Like neglecting the things that would turn out to matter in favor of the paying attention to things long ago forgotten.

Like the myriad unfinished pieces of business that make for a "to do" list a mile long.

Too many contenders.

But then there are the good things.

Like my junior year of high school in France. That single experience, those nine months, changed my life forever. Not only did I learn to speak French and make friends whom I have loved for over 43 years but I learned about the world and how I am a part of it...the whole thing...not just one little myopic corner. And I learned to love ham and butter on a baguette..."Sandwich Jambon."

Like the birth of my precious daughter. She is, to me, my raison d'etre. Oh My God do I love her.

Like the meeting of my beautiful, powerful, nurturing wife. She cares for me better than I care for myself. She loves me and sees the perfection of my soul. She allows for my shortcomings, however large or small, and sees them within the context of me as an entire being, full of possibility. She is, by far, my dream come true...my best friend.

Like meeting Walter Cronkite. A childhood hero with whom I got to spend a few hours.

Like playing guitar at Lincoln Center. What a thrill!

Like the cheeseburger I had once at a grimy bar off of Ferry St. in New Haven. The best I've ever had.

Like the chowder at The Swan Oyster Depot on Polk St. in San Francisco with Mike and Janet and Shari in 1980.

Like being cast as "Jake" in "I'm Getting My Act Together and Taking it On The Road" at Joe Papp's Public Theatre.

Like covering the 2004 Republican National Convention for ABC News.

Like playing the drums with Blue Plate Special when Rick Derringer sat in in Colchester, CT.

Like all of the music I've ever played with all of the musicians I've ever known...except that one guy whose songs were so painfully boring but he always wanted me to hear them and play along...arghhhhh!

Like getting royalty checks from BMI for "Tornado", which was recorded by the late, great Gus Hardin and is in "Deterrence" with Kevin Pollack.

Like being lucky enough to have a sense of humor.

Like pulling out of Guilford Harbor and "opening 'er up" towards Faulkner Island.

Like getting my electrician's license. Thanks Bill.

Like all of the wonderful friends and lovers I've ever had. I have the best friends in the whole world. My friends are better than your friends.
"Na na na na na...!"

Like having Max Weyl as a father. I will always love him.

And the list goes on forever.

I am lucky and blessed and possessive of more riches than the Sultan of Brunei.

Well, maybe not the Sultan of Brunei. But definitely more than Bill Gates.

Actually, not more than Bill Gates but absolutely more than Michael Jordan.

Uh...hmmmmm...possibly not Michael Jordan either.

Jeez...who then?

More than...uh...

Nobody.

I'm like George Bailey. I'm the richest man in the world.

I have it all.

I have health and happiness and a wonderful family and great memories and a bright future.

60 down...all the rest to go.

Bring it on...!

2 comments: