Thursday, November 4, 2010

Dear John

This is an open letter of thanks to Senator John McCain.


Sir,

We met, briefly, on the campaign trail in 2007, in New Hampshire. You may remember me as the CNN cameraman who shook your hand at a rally. I told you that I had gone to the University of Arizona at Tucson and we talked for a minute about football.
"Go Wildcats!", you said.

We spent New Year's Eve together at the home of one of your supporters in Concord. You gave my sound person a big hug. Actually you did that every time we saw you those few days. Fortunately my sound person is a woman otherwise people would have talked. "Don't ask don't tell" you know.

I want to thank you for your service to the country. You have shown admirable ability both as a Navy officer, POW and a United States Senator (really, especially the POW part...no joking here Dear Reader...) You have been a maverick, which, incidentally, was one of my favorite TV shows growing up. I liked the James Garner character. I also liked him in the movie version more than Mel Gibson who I liked in Braveheart but not so much in What Women Want which I thought was silly.

But most of all I want to thank you for Sarah Palin. The service you have given to the country and its' future by elevating her to national prominence through her nomination as your vice presidential candidate is only paralleled by your service to the country by pushing for campaign finance reform with, the now newly defeated, Russ Feingold.

But your signature contribution has got to be Sarah Palin. She is terrific. I saw Tina Fey last night at a premiere in New York for the new animated film from Dreamworks called "Megamind." Ms. Fey and Ms. Palin don't really look that much alike when Ms. Fey isn't wearing glasses, which she wasn't. Ms. Fey is adorable and smaller than I expected. But she was wearing black stiletto heals which made her seem tall enough I guess.

Sarah Palin. Pretty, smart, (those two adjectives work well together in that order don't you think...?) funny, insightful (or is that inciteful..."Spellcheck" anyone?), wise and an inspiration to all Americans no matter what border they live near and no matter what country they can see from that location. I can see Massachusetts from where I live and it is not as beautiful as I imagine Alaska to be except for The Berkshires in winter and fall and The Cape in spring and summer. There aren't any polar bears but there are raccoons which can make good hats and are cute except when they are mauling helpless infants.

So, sir, because of all you have done for this country I salute you. Actually I "hand over heart" you as I never served in the military and don't have the right to salute even though it feels cool to do so. But a real salute. Not the two finger job casually delivered to a friend or a person with whom you think you have something in common because you are both wearing Red Sox hats (or Yankees or Giants or Orioles or...)

Thank you for giving us Sarah Palin. We will never be the same as a result of your generosity and foresight. You will definitely have a prominent place in history which is what everyone strives for. Everyone wants a legacy.

Be well and best regards to Mrs. McCain. I hope she's feeling better.

Sincerely,

A Devoted Arizona fan, except in the summer when it is too damned hot, albeit dry, but very hot nonetheless...especially in Tucson which is further south than Phoenix where you have a house which is air-conditioned and where you have a pool which can provide much needed cooling when it is as hot as it is in the summer in Arizona which is near the border with Mexico and has a lot of Hispanics only some of whom look Asian.

No comments:

Post a Comment