Friday, February 15, 2013

Meet Eyeore...

I can just imagine the Saturday Night Live skit featuring Gilda Radner and Jane Curtin.

Gilda, playing Roseanne Roseannadanna, is an editorial commentator during "Weekend Update", SNL's fake newscast (for the uninitiated.)

She launches off on a rant about Winnie the Pooh and Christopher Robin and A.A. Milne.

"Why should I go all the way to Russia in order to meet Eyeore?  I've read the books. I am a devotee and I even still have my Pooh Bear from when I was a little girl. 

I don't understand why I would travel all the way to some out of the way part of the former Soviet Union, that was used, by the way, to test nuclear missiles, just to meet a character, however cute, from a children's book.

England, maybe.  Greece, possibly, their debt crisis notwithstanding.  France, definitely.  But, behind the Iron Curtain (not you Jane, you ignorant #&@%...!)?  Not in a million years.  Way too cold and I don't drink Vodka...

I liked Christopher Robin, Kanga and Roo though and I was especially fond, of course, of Pooh himself.

He was a bit stupid but very sweet and I totally understand his passion for honey.  I wouldn't drink my tea with anything less.

But Eyeore?  Why Eyeore?  A perfectly nice guy, no real flaws that I can see.  But a second-stringer.
Not a headliner in any way shape or form.

Winnie the Pooh, yes. Go to Chelyabinsk to meet Eyeore.  Not likely."

"Uh, Roseanna.  It's not "Meet Eyeore."

"What?  Well, who is it then?"

"It's not a who.  It's a what."

"A what?  What what?

"A meteor."

"A meteor?  What meteor? You mean one from outer space...?"

"Yes...a meteor...from outer space."

"Oh...uh...ahem...well...uh...........Never Mind...!"

No comments:

Post a Comment