Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Another Really Big Shoe...

And once again I am forced to ask...what is it about women's shoes?

But I ask as a man who obviously has women's feet.

Why do you ask? Because they are killing me, that's why!

Last year, here in Cannes, I laughed to myself at the celebrities and near-celebrities walking to the red carpet in flip-flops and changing into Stiletto heels minutes before they arrived at paparazzi central. What a sham, I thought.

Boy do I get it now...

I have been walking around the Palais here for days at the MIPTV Festival, an international marketplace of television content buyers and producers. I am marketing our program, "Behind The Seeds with Spencer Christian", a show about the passionate uncompromising realization of dreams in the face of daunting odds.

I am walking and walking and then walking some more. To exacerbate the problem I am parking my rental car about a 3 mile roundtrip from the Palais and therefore start and end my day with a healthy constitutional.

And, as my lovely (and very funny) wife would say, "my dogs are barkin' "

I have tried soft soled tie shoes. No good. A blister.

I have tried tassle loafers. No good. Reasonably chic (for an aged preppy) but too slippery therefore I am forced to walk like a Geisha.

All I have left are sneakers (sorry, "tennis"...sorry, again, "running shoes")

They would look ridiculous with dress slacks (complete with crease)and a necktie.

Ergo...I am left to hobble and careen and generally meander about like a circus stiltwalker.

I have a new found respect for women in business suits and sneakers. They get it.

Walk to work floating on cottony air and wear the instruments of torture in the office.

I would do that but then I'd have to carry the damned sneakers along with the laptop, the water bottle, the coat for later and the crap that one collects at these conferences. And the "office" in this case is a 6 floor 10 acre affair with no watercooler at which to kvetch.

I'll take the blisters thank you...

No comments:

Post a Comment