Tuesday, September 13, 2011

I Hate The Theatre!

That said...I attended one of the finest theatrical presentations of my life not long go.

I must preface, in defense of this post's title, by saying that I was a theatre major in college and worked many years professionally as a technical director, lighting technician, stagehand and even an actor ("I'm Getting My Act Together and Taking It On The Road" by Cryer and Ford, produced by Joe Papp at The Public Theatre and directed by the legendary Word Baker...in which I created the role of "Jake")

I have "been there", "done that" and torn way too many "tee shirts..."

The theatre normally bores me to tears...even professional productions but especially amateur ones.

So when some dear friends invited me to watch their darling daughter in a version of Hamlet at the prestigious Long Wharf Theatre in New Haven I was less than enthusiastic.

I love my friends and their daughter, who is a terrific actress and dancer...even if she is only a teenager. Really unusually gifted.

So I went. I was right on time. Having worked at The Hartford Stage Company I knew that if I was even a minute late I would have to endure the lobby until the first scene change.

I got my program and took a seat.

The set was minimal and the lighting was utilitarian. A small "Black Box" theatre with platforms.

What caught my eye immediately was a full rock band set up on an upstage riser. Hmmmm. What could this mean...?

The lights dimmed and the play began.

I once played the role of Polonius. Hamlet can be tough, even for Kenneth Branagh.

Things started a bit slowly and I started to fidget. Arghhh! I was stuck and for three hours and with only ONE intermission. I'd never make it. I was going to have to bail...

But the all of sudden, as if on cue, the energy in the room changed. The acting became more refined. The lighting and "sets" made sense. The actors formed a rock band that intermittantly began playing songs that were relative to the dialogue and I was, in a word...enraptured!

I was on the edge of my seat and was upset when the intermission happened. I didn't want it to stop!

And at the end of the play I didn't want it to be over.

The famous "To be or not to be" soliloquy was probably the best I've ever heard, delivered with an authenticity that belied the teenage years of the actor who played Hamlet. Truly awesome.

And my friend's daughter, while playing a small part, left me, as always, transfixed. I only hope I have as good a seat when she accepts her first Oscar. Watch for Jane Logan. She is going to be a star. She will be her generation's Meryl Streep. Mark my words.

So...I now must honestly say that I hated the theatre. You'll still never catch me at a dinner theatre production of "Company" or some innovative attempt at "Ah! Wilderness"...but that one night, in the presence of teenage superstars at one of the finest regional theatres in the world, changed my opinion.

Now I will have to say, "I hated the theatre...except for this one performance of Hamlet I saw X number of years ago."

It was wonderful...and I had a great time...in spite of myself.

Thanks kids! BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment