Friday, February 12, 2010

Windbags of Change

My daughter accused me of being a windbag the other day...lovingly but nonetheless.

Guilty as charged. I can drone on when trying to impart my wisdom to her beautiful little 13 year old self. But as my wonderful wife says, "the only thing you can't give your children is wisdom."

Point taken...all I can do is try.

But the TV punditry...oh my God! They must not have daughters...or any kids at all for that matter...or loving wives or husbands.

Holy Mother of God!

I happen to admire Keith Olbermann and share a lot of his views. I happen to abhor Glush Beckbaugh and don't share many of his values...but Jeeeez!

None of these guys know when to shut up!

Mies van der Rohe:

"Less is More"

Hmmmmm....maybe our beatified political commentators can take a page from his playbook.

Maybe they can talk less and say more. Maybe they would be more persuasive if they chose their words more carefully and delivered their message in intelligent and succint ways rather than the endless blather that fills the 24/7 cycle.

But, after all, that is more the problem than the motormouths themselves. The broadcast media feels that they have to assault us with talk and vocal observation for each and every minute of the broadcast day.

Maybe some beauty shots of waterfalls or birds in flight or waves breaking over pastel shores accompanied by Mozart or Bach or Moby or even The Moody Blues. Maybe that for 15 minutes every hour.

A respite. A sensory oasis in the otherwise cacophonous day.

Maybe monkeys will fly out of my....

"Francisco Franco remains dead. Story and expert commentary at 11:00.

...and 12...and 1...and 2...and 3....and...

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment