Wednesday, February 10, 2010

What Happened?

When we're little we're taught that lying is no good and that we should share our toys...and we shouldn't hit each other...or we'll go to bed without supper...or if we curse we'll get our mouths washed out with soap...Ivory...not Irish Spring...

What happened between then and our adult years?

What part of the life lessons that we were taught by our parents did we not get? Why is it that, when we are "grownups", we lie, cheat, steal, abuse and generally act like idiots?

Ok...not all of us...and not all of the time...but some of us, often...and some of us always...and almost all of us sometimes...ever given another driver the finger (under the dashboard) when he cuts you off? Yeah...YOU...you know who you are...almost everbody.

And what about the Golden Rule...do unto others as you would have them do unto you...or its' cousin (my brother-in-law's interpretation)... don't do unto others what you wouldn't want them to do to you.

Out the window.

Why is it appropriate for kids...and why do parents teach those values, when they don't "practice what they preach?"

Kid = Honesty
Adult = Lying
Kid = Love
Adult = Hate
Kid = Compassion
Adult = Selfishness
Kid = "Come over and play in my backyard"
Adult = "NIMBY"

What happened?

All I know is that we had better let the kids have a crack at the world soon or we'll all be cooked geese...

Bring on the Play Doh...!

1 comment:

  1. You asked for it. I went back to reread your newer blogs and I GET them all....it's just that I am spending *so much time* socializing my kids - that I sorta never really GOT the rest.

    I am teaching honesty, love, compassion, tacos and football plays and I am not learning about my government the way I should. Where to begin?

    Here is the loop ___ and here is me ____

    ReplyDelete