Friday, December 19, 2008

What Part of Snow Don't You Understand?

I hate winter.

I'm unashamed. It's cold. It's bleak and gray. The car starts with difficulty. It's harder to move in all these "layers"
The wood stove is a pain in the neck.

I hate winter.

By contrast I love spring. It's warm. The daffodils are abloom. The garden is whining for attention. Summer's on deck.

I love spring.

I know, I know. Skiing and skating and the holidays, including my birthday (which I also hate)

We need winter to give nature a chance to renew itself. That argument never made sense to me. There doesn't seem to be any need for renewal in Miami or Cancun or Rio.

What's the deal with that?

But we also need winter to provide the contrast.

Without winter we would be bored with a perpetual state of spring/summer. We need the winter to make us appreciate the warmth and beauty of spring/summer.

Baloney. I could live in spring/summer forever. Let's just refer to it as Spummer.

Spummer's in the air. Doesn't quite have the same poetic ring to it but I'll suffer through that detail.

I hate winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment