Monday, July 12, 2010

Not Exactly Boring, but Close

Ok, I watched the World Cup.

I was torn between rooting for Spain, which is a country I deeply love and The Netherlands, which is a country I deeply love.

In other words, I didn't care who won, as most Americans probably felt.

It wasn't The U.S. or even my truly beloved France...it was two other countries playing in a stadium light years away.

And it didn't help watching people in scarves, coats and hats while I was sitting in airconditioning with heat and humidity just outside the window.

I had trouble relating. Even though I played as a kid (Halfback and then Goalie...sorry "Keeper") the game is just not that interesting.

It's exciting when a shot is made on goal or players collide but aside from that...

But it is certainly wonderful to watch these men play. They are running almost all of the time and their ability to handle the ball is remarkable. And they are gentlemen.

They play with a sense of dignity. There is no trash-talking, no strutting.

It's just the game. Who's the better player...not who's the better person. And who cares if you have three houses and four girlfriends and tatoos and a "grille.?"

Can you play...yes or no? Are you any good?

Period.

Sportsmen playing the world's game.

Boring yes. Uplifting...also yes.

We need more of that.

And less of the other.

Much less.

Aribba...Espana!

Bravo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment