Wednesday, June 12, 2013

I'm Sorry

I must most sincerely apologize for my absolute lack of any enthusiasm for politics these days.

I mourn the past with a great deal of emotional pain.  Gone are the days of George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, Bill Clinton and even Willard Romney, although all of the above make occasional forays into the news from time to time.

But the fire is out.  They all brought excitement.  The current crowd is tedious, self-absorbed and boring!

I remember feeling that, as a result of reading "Advise and Consent", the fabulous faux-fiction opus by Allen Drury and The Watergate Scandal, I could never trust the Republicans let alone be one.

I confess that my first legal vote was cast for Richard Nixon in 1972 but that was as much a result of the fact that my father was a Republican as that I was.  I hardly knew how to shave let alone form a cogent political thought.

Then the Clinton Lewinsky mess tempted me a bit but that was all about sex and Ken Starr's obsession so I gave the notion no never mind.

I also will confess that I voted for Barack Obama both times.  First because I was afraid the formerly sane John McCain, with whom I spent New Year's Eve on the campaign in New Hampshire bin '07, and who was a genuinely likeable guy, would die in office and leave us in the hands of the seemingly incompetent and scary Sarah "The Moose" Palin.

The second time was because I couldn't stomach Willard and Mrs. Willard and the thought of them running the country reminded me of the jerks I knew at boarding school (yes, my friends, I am a Preppy...) who got away with everything simply because their fathers were rich and who had everything simply because their rich parents were in absentia and thought that presents and money equalled love.

As to that last point, I'm here to tell you that money does not equal love in the slightest.  My parents didn't have very much of it and I have never been as loved in the way that I was by them.

But now being of one party or another means little or nothing.

Both parties are corrupt and both are only concerned with getting and maintaining power and don't give a good God damn about the country, its' citizenry or its' future.

None of the men or women currently in Washington have ethics or courage or honor.

They vote according to the dictates of their patrons and the rest of us be damned.

They wave the flag, weep crocodile tears and bemoan the fact that the middle class has evaporated all the while voting themselves pay raises, avoiding sensitive votes and investigations and sending our babies off to war.

So I started out as a Republican, became a Democrat, morphed into an Independent and am now just bored to tears.

Which, by the way are just about all I, or most of us, have to give.  We have given our blood.  We have given our sweat.

All that's left are our tears.

Tears for fears...

No comments:

Post a Comment