Wednesday, October 7, 2009

What's in a Name...Part II?

Imagine if, all of a sudden, all at once, everything in your world was new.



Not your shoes or your spouse or your job. Not your car or your house. Just the familiar old things to which, over a lifetime, you have become accustomed.



For example:



The United States of Avocado.



John Fennel and Paul Eisenstadt of the Beatles.



Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Onion.



Onion, Bloody Onion.



Onion School.



Super Bowl Onion.



Get my drift?



The other day I was driving into New York City. It was a beautiful day. A few clouds and bright sun. Warm with a gentle breeze. UN Week. Lovely. As I approached from the Bruckner Expressway I saw a disturbing sight: "The RFK Bridge" Huh?



Where did The Triboro go? Oh...there is no Triboro Bridge anymore? Now it's "The RFK?" The Robert Francis Kennedy Bridge?



NO...IT'S NOT!!!!



It's the GD Triboro and I don't care who knows it! I am one of millions of New Yorkers, past and present, who grew up and have lived happily (never mind the ever increasing tolls..) with the Triboro (never mind "Part II"...I always take the Willis Avenue Bridge to avoid the ever increasing tolls...)



I don't want to call it The RFK. I want to call it The Triboro...and will, defiantly, continue to do so. And while I'm at it...it's Candlestick Park and Shea Stadium and The West Side Highway and ESSO, damnit...! And thank God Prince came back to Earth...I never could (you couldn't either...who are you kidding?) pronouce his symbol...



They took back Cape Canaveral after another Kennedy renaming...I'm sure Logan Airport in Boston is doomed to become Teddy Airport...



But let's rally around the flag boys...let's refuse to call it "The RFK."...let's hold the line...let's hold on to the dwindling past and stick with the good ol' Triboro... Come on...repeat after me...in unison..."The Triboro Bridge...The Triboro Bridge...THE TRIBORO BRIDGE!!!"



Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment